Frequently asked questions: construction

We've seen the neighbourhood plan. What happens next?

Once plans have been developed for a neighbourhood, a resource consent application is been submitted. Then, over the next few months, construction activities will start in the development area.

What happens during construction?

The construction process includes demolishing the empty houses, preparing the land for construction, putting in new roads and footpaths, and finally building houses.

What are the hours of work?

Resource consents specify when construction work can happen. This is usually 7.30am - 6pm from Monday to Friday, and 7.30am - 4pm on Saturdays, depending on the construction activity.

How do you manage dust and dirt?

Our contractors have a dust minimisation strategy. This often involves hosing down the site to help prevent excess dust spreading across the neighbourhood. At certain times of the year TRC will also arrange for a company to wash the houses that become dirty due to the construction works.

Will this impact traffic and parking?

TRC will also work with the relevant contractors to ensure minimal disruption to parking and traffic movement during the construction works. Occasionally, roads, footpaths and berms may need to be closed for a short time. Before this happens, a traffic management plan must be approved by Auckland Council.

Will it be noisy?

The contractors will do their best to keep any disturbance to a minimum, however you may experience some vibrations and noise during civil construction. Please contact your Neighbourhood Liaison Advisor if you have construction-related noise complaints.

How could construction affect my house?

Occasionally, you may notice some vibration from construction activities. We have strict construction and traffic management plans which are designed to minimise the effects of vibration on any nearby homes.

Some houses can be more sensitive to vibration than others due to their age, construction type and where they are located. There is a small chance that vibration may result in minor damage (such as cracks in paint and plaster) to neighbouring houses. If this happens, TRC will repair any damage caused to the property.

To ensure that all neighbouring properties are protected during the development process, TRC offers property condition surveys for houses bordering construction sites.